13E – Cannon Fire Direction Specialist
Major duties. The cannon fire direction specialist leads, supervises, or serves as a member of a fire direction element or operations section of a field artillery cannon unit.
(1) Skill Level 1. Establishes, maintains and operates radio and wire communications. Operates the backup computer system to include; preparation, entry of known data, and computation of firing data. Constructs and operates observed or surveyed firing charts. Records fire mission related information and maintains ammunition status. Compiles lists and prepares target overlays, and situation and fire capability overlays. Operates and performs operator maintenance on section vehicles and generators. Performs crew maintenance and participates in organizational maintenance of section equipment.
(2) Skill Level 2. Assists chief fire direction computer in supervision of section operations, maintenance, and training. Operates the battery computer unit to include; preparation, entry of known data, computation of firing data, and receipt and processing of message. Transmits firing data to firing elements using batter compute unit. Verifies registration and computes and applies meteorological and muzzle velocity corrections. Operates the backup computer system to include; preparation, entry of known data, and computation of firing data.
(3) Skill Level 3. Assists fire direction officer and platoon sergeant in the planning, preparation, and execution of individual and collective training activities of the section. Monitors processing of fire requests, supervises computation of firing data, and verifies accuracy of firing data. Supervises and directs the construction, camouflage, and defense of the section position. Supervises the performance of operator, crew, and organizational maintenance on section vehicles and equipment.
Physical demands ratings and qualifications for the initial award of MOS. Cannon fire direction specialists must possess the following qualifications:
(1) A physical demands rating of very heavy.
(2) A physical profile of 222221.
(3) Color discrimination of red/green.
(4) A minimum score of 95 in aptitude area FA.
(5) A Security Clearance of SECRET.
(6) A U.S. citizen.
(7) Formal training under the auspices of USAFAS is mandatory to qualify for the award of the MOS.
NOTE: This job closed to women.
Additional skill identifiers.
(1) P5–Master Fitness Trainer.
(3) 2S–Battle Staff Operations (skill
(4) 4A–Reclassification Training.